Pages

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

baby bummer

{image taken from here}
Yesterday I found out some not-so-great news about the new Canadian Citizenship laws, and they have kind of bummed me out.

I get that I have lived away from Canada for three years now, and that I'm marrying an Australian.  I get that I'm dual-citizenship.  I have almost made peace with the fact that I have decided (for many, many reasons) it is best for my family, overall, if we make our permanent home in Australia (meaning I will spend the rest of my life clinging to all the Canadianisms I can, battling homesickness, and trying to convince people and myself that I am just as Canadian as anybody else despite the increasing time spent away from my country).  I get - but am not happy - that my children and I will most likely share very few cultural points-of-references due to them growing up in Australia.

However, it never occurred to me that my children, who will be born in Australia, would not automatically be granted Canadian citizenship.  I mean, I was.  And I was born in a third world country.

But, thanks to Canada changing its laws a few years back, my children will not be Canadian.  At least not without us moving to and living in Canada for at least a year during their childhood.  My country has decided that my citizenship is of a 'lesser' status than those born within the country.  Even less than those who are Canadian through naturalization.  The reason being simply that I was born in a different country, despite the fact that I grew up in the nation's capitol, that I speak both national languages (which is more than can be said for the vast majority of the population), and that I am deeply, deeply patriotic.  As my mother put it, I am more "Canadian" than most Canadians she knows.

I am Canadian, but because of my 'lesser' status I will be unable to pass down my citizenship to my children, unless they are born within the country (which won't happen due to jobs/finances/etc).

This news has more than bummed me out.  It has very much stressed me out.  I feel isolated and lonely, and angry at these new laws.

And yet I want nothing more than to run back to Canada, screaming "I am Canadian!  Let my children be Canadian, too!"

1 comment:

  1. As there are options to make the kids Canadian, we will (and we have about 19 yrs to do it)
    'The Fella'

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...