Pages

Thursday, February 17, 2011

living the triumphant life

"I don’t really believe in triumph. Because the most triumphant moments are the days when I have no idea how I'm going to fix anything, but I get out of bed anyway. "   So says Penelope Trunk in her blog Brazen Careerist.  And you know what?  I agree with her.


I learned about this blog post from Molly Ford over at Smart Pretty and Awkward (my new favourite blog, by the way).  And I'm so glad I did!  Penelope's post not only made me think, but I could also relate to it.  I have done some big things in my life: moved to exotic places on a whim, taken some crazy risks, overcome some major adversaries.  But what do I consider to be my real triumphs?  The same thing Penelope does: the days I've gotten out of bed when I didn't think there was a point to do so.  I don't suffer from a mental illness, and I luckily don't suffer from regular depression.  I'm normally a very happy, very positive person.  But this past year I spent months battling a sometimes crippling depression.  I know what it's like to not want to get out of bed because there doesn't seem to be a point.  I know what it's like to not shower for days because it's impossible to muster up the energy.  


So what do I believe, right now, my greatest life achievements have been?  Those days when I got out of bed.  Those days when I showered.  Those days when I called a friend because I needed help.  The very first day I went to see my therapist.  Simply being able to openly admit that I see a therapist (even though my depression is thankfully long gone).  Those were the things that were far from easy to do.  Those were the things that I lacked motivation to do, yet did anyway.  Those are the things I've done that I'm proud of.  And Penelope's post made me think, and it made me recognize this, and it made me congratulate myself and feel proud of myself.  Those are my triumphs that may seem insignificant, but to me, are huge.


I encourage everybody to read the biggest triumph is getting out of bed.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...