![]() |
| {image taken from here} |
I'm an artsy girl who's been a struggling actor since I was a child. I'm a trained primary school teacher. I am not a mathematical or financial aficionado.
I started my journalism/editorial internship at a financial magazine. And I tell you, when I'm re-working someone else's article, I just have to trust that the journalist knows what they're talking about, because I sure don't. It's almost like I know what all the words mean individually, but not strung together in coherent sentences. I must fake it pretty well, though, because my editor likes my work so far. She's even given me my own writing assignment! My very first article! I'm conducting interviews and everything! It's due Tuesday, so I'll let you know how it goes.
Anyway, here are the top 5 things I've learned in my internship so far:
1. I wore a really great outfit my first day. It may have looked cute, sure. Standing up. The second I sit down, my belly flops over the belt. Not attractive.
2. It's imperative I do some homework and figure out how to use excel. I've never had to make an excel spreadsheet before, and it was completely embarrassing when the other intern - some young kid - had to teach me.
3. I am so used to structure in the workplace. Recess. Lunch bells. I was totally unprepared for taking lunch whenever I want, and it wasn't until it was nearly 2pm that I got an email from my editor telling me I could go for lunch whenever I wanted. Oooops.
4. I must really find out how long lunch is. I'm too shy to ask, so I pretty much just ate, then returned to my desk. At least I'm showing that I'm dedicated to my work? I'll be more observant of others next week.
5. Going to the bathroom 4 times within a 5 hour period is highly embarrassing. Must remember not to drink so much water/tea.

Isn't the first day at a new job SO overwhelming? So many new scenarios and things you've totally forgotten about. (Like sitting for 8 hours in something terribly uncomfortable. Iiiish.)
ReplyDeleteMy workplace is entirely relaxed, so no one ever tells new people that its okay to take lunch whenever, to wear jeans, take personal phone calls...even get sidetracked by a little celebrity googling...as long as your work is done by the days end! I always feel awful while people try to adjust to our laid-back office environment where we forget to tell people the rules! :)
Loving your parallel with Becky Bloomwood. I know you'll do fabulous, even if you need a few weeks to adjust to all that jargon! :)
Thanks, Bethany!!
ReplyDelete