I spent 2005-2007 living in Hong Kong, teaching drama. I had yet to join facebook, and still sent mass emails to my friends, telling them of my travels. I recently found one of the very first ones from HK that I sent en mass. I thought I'd share it with you, because I find it pretty funny. It was really embarrassing at the time. This was in August of 2005:
So I've used squat toilets about four times already, with no catastrophe. I've been in HK for almost a week now. Although I think maybe I was getting a little over-confident in my squatting abilities today. I was teaching my two hour afternoon class today, and on our break I had to go to the bathroom. When there was a squat toilet, I didn't think anything of it. I mean, I'm practically old hat at this, right?
Right.
Well, I'm obviously not. And I obviously wasn't paying attention to what exactly I was doing, or to my squat position. Before I knew it, I'd peed all over the crotch of my pants!!!! (they're light blue, so there was a big dark blue patch right in the crotch - big enough for people to notice!)
And, AND, of COURSE there was no toiletpaper! And I didn't have my little pack of tissues with me!!!
I was SO horrified!! I spent the last hour of the class trying - unsuccessfully, I think - to hide it from my kids. Luckily they were doing group work. Still. I know some of them noticed, because I caught a few of them sniggering and I heard the word 'toilet'. *sigh* there goes what little authority I had.
Also, Nate, this other drama teacher at my school, usually gives me a ride to the train station after class. So today he stopped by my classroom, and I tried to hide things from him, telling him I thought I'd prefer to walk it today, since it was such a nice day out. Which it wasn't. He gave me an odd look, and left.
So, the big question is: which is more embarrassing? The fact that the crotch of my pants were wet, or the fact that I smelled like pee?!?
I think from now on an extra change of clothes is in order.
Ha! I'd be in tough shape. I can't squat to save my life. I'd have pee pants all the time.
ReplyDeleteMy Mr. goes to Japan on a yearly basis. He's mentioned squat toilets. They really scare me.
There's even worse squat toilets in mainland China! They're literally troughs, with not even so much as a dividing wall. You pretty much just all squat next to each other, and the person at the end has control over the flush! It's pretty gross....
ReplyDeleteLOL. Yeah I don't know that I am coordinated enough to do that.
ReplyDeleteP.S. Thank you so much for the hot coke and lemon suggestion on my blog. It helped a ton. Who woulda thought?!
The Cheeky Cafe
hahahaha...I had to use a squat toilet when I was in Italy....it is DANGEROUS. I will admit that I had a little mishap myself...after a few drinks. Why even make those things....
ReplyDelete